Photograph of a drawing of the interior of St Peter’s Church, Gayhurst, Buckinghamshire by John Piper 1903–1992

Photograph of a drawing of the interior of St Peter’s Church, Gayhurst, Buckinghamshire

Artist
John Piper 1903–1992
Date
[c.1930s–1980s]
View on Tate Online

Where does this artwork belong?

You can add a pin to the map, or agree with an existing pin. to get started.

Discuss this artwork's location

  • aturner

    St Peters Church Gayhurst MK16 8LG

  • aturner

    This is an accurate representation of the interior of St Peters Church, Gayhurst MK16 8LG

  • aturner

    The Church was renovated in 1883 by Sir James Carlile (sic). The pulpit was three tier (origins unknown) but has been cut down to two tier to fit – probably in the restoration of the interior. It is octagonal with panelled sides and a richly carved sounding board canopy. The altar piece is carved in oak with the exquisite wrought-iron communion rails painted dark blue-grey with details picked out and gilded. At the reredos one of the ten commandments contains a double-negative. On the right is a large and magnificent statue to Sir Nathan Wright and his son George. Sir Nathan built this church in the late 1720’s and left his son to pay for it – see separate photos of this monument.

Please to join the discussion.